Saturday, November 15, 2008

The things I do when I should be working....


...say, on a very important proposal...

So the plan was to start a blog while I was out in the field during the spring and summer. This way I could stay in touch with my family, friends, and colleagues without spending an arm and a leg (or two) on phone calls and individual emails. Although I usually romanticize the idea of personalized postcards before I head into the wilderness ...and make egregious promises to everyone I know that it will be done...AND buy special non-smudge pens to make sure my lefty tendencies don't ruin the only copy of the perfect postcard for my friend Kate -- I usually procrastinate so long that I return home in time to read them out loud personally to my friends or family members. Plus, my cat really doesn't need to receive a postcard from me but I feel guilty if the activity is not all-inclusive. I figure with freely accessible postings, I can hear from my friends, family, and colleagues and they can hear about my daily mosquito bite counts and leaky drysuit trials and tribulations. I also hope this will serve as forum for others to tell me about their experience in the field, give me some feedback or help me resolve the typical hangups that occur when you try to impose your carefully typed methods section onto a real world situation. Perhaps I can impart a few tiny chunks of wisdom here or there regarding questions about your own field work -- so ask away.

I was a little hesitant about starting a blog. I never have time to read them myself. I doubt anyone I know will have time to read mine. I do hope to fill it with enough pictures to keep it entertaining. And I do hope to have internet access frequently enough to keep it updated while I am far away from any urban center :/

Of course, the big question is what will I post until my field season begins? That's a good question I asked myself... I do have until May 2009. Then the follow-up question I asked myself is why start writing now? Well (1) it takes a lot of preparation to squeeze what could easily be a couple of summers worth of work into a few months and (2) the fresh air and diet of peanut butter, pirates booty and rice I encounter only a few months of the year leaves me pretty strung-out and tired so I figure I would be more apt to keep this up if I make it a habit now...

No comments: